[RE-wrenches] Battery cell shorting

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Fri Oct 22 12:39:39 PDT 2010

Hello,

I have an off-grid battery / generator / SW4024 system which has destroyed
-3- sets of batteries in the last five years. By destroyed I mean multiple
batteries having shorted cells, with electrolyte literally steaming out of
them and bulging badly. The last two sets were Rolls T12-250's. The first
set was Trojan T105's. This system has no solar, and I would not be
surprised if the generator ran 10-12 hours a day charging the batteries, for
the residents don't believe in energy efficiency. I could see the batteries
cycling to the point of being useless after a couple years, but the scary
thing is the condition I've witnessed multiple times now. Any ideas as to
why this has happened repeatedly across different brands of batteries?
Thanks.

Kirk Herander

Vermont Solar Engineering

802.863.1202