[RE-wrenches] Outback AGS issues

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Oct 22 08:43:47 PDT 2010

Colleagues:

As you may recall, I have a client experiencing intermittent generator auto
start issues.  The residence is a weekend rental, so manual gen start is
not possible -- I can not train every tenant.

There are reportedly some problems with older Mates in this
regard.  Outback tech support gave me a very specific description of the
problem: when switching from manual generator to auto generator run, the
bulk timer sometimes does not reset.  This means that at the next automatic
generator start, the bulk timer starts at zero, resulting in a very short
generator run time. This bug is fixed as of version 4.1.6, the latest version.

I drove the two hours to Big Sur yesterday with a newly rebuilt Mate.  I
found that the existing Mate had 4.1.6 firmware, so the problem I have must
not be caused by the acknowledged bug.  I found an AGS Error displayed.  I
ran the Mate thorough all of it's paces and found absolutely no problems.

I did have a report that the generator displayed an error code the first
time this happened, but not the second.  This causes me to suspect the
generator, but I have no proof.

I left a four channel data acquisition system monitoring: battery voltage,
generator start signal, generator AC and inverter AC.  If the problem
happens again, I should be able to isolate the cause between either the
Outback or the generator.

I think this is a very important issue because anyone with an Outback
system and a generator needs to know if they can trust an Outback system to
start a generator reliably.  No one on this list has been able to say with
certainty why their particular Outback would not reliably start a generator.

I will report back when I learn something new.

William

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com