[RE-wrenches] Ground Mount Screening

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Oct 21 09:34:32 PDT 2010

Hello Wrenches,

We are installing a ground mount system with Enphase
inverters.  690.31 requires readily accessible source and output
conductors OPERATING at over 30 volts to be installed in a
raceway.  The Vmp of the REC230PE modules is 29.4 volts.  Of course
it would go higher in cold weather.  Do I have any argument that
would allow us to not install the DC conductors in a raceway?

The NEC Handbook comments "Most PV modules do not have provisions for
attaching raceways. These circuits may have to be made "not readily
accessible" by use of physical barriers such as wire screening".

I have heard of a green screening material that has been used on the
E, W and N sides of ground mounts to render the area not readily
accessible.  Does anyone know what this is?  What else would work
that would be more cost effective than running a chain link fence
around the array?

Thanks,

Drake