[RE-wrenches] Prism Solar (was) The Genie Lens

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Sun Aug 15 16:23:08 PDT 2010

Ever since buying an early edition of the Davidson/Komp book in the 80's, I
knew that Joel D. had a genuine love for PV technology plus a prominent
position in the industry.

Joel would not recall a brief phone conversation that I had with him in that
era, in which he stated that "a PV module is the closest thing we have to
perpetual motion". That observation...and the infectious enthusiasm behind
it...made a lasting impression on me.

It's nice to be able to virtually "hang out" with Joel and other industry
pioneers.

*********************************

The Prism Solar technology (to which Joel points) seems to ring the
appropriate notes:

* Similar size per rated watt compared to crystalline

* Lower production cost per rated watt

* Projections of higher kWh delivery per rated watt over time

* Technology that doesn't claim to be magical but which can be understood by
regular people

* Company principals with long running solar background...from which we may
assume that they are familiar with the difficulties that can arise when a
product is parked outside for years.

* ...and Joel's remarks about degradation give basic confirmation that the
product would survive long term. We need more of such confirmation, such as
accelerated life cycle testing, real modules with UL listings, long warranty
from strong backers, etc. but it's a good start.

What else would I want to see from a new module technology? I would want to
see a better model for marketing, sales, & distribution than what we now
have. (I am posting this reply under the RE-Markets list, as well.)

The manufacturers of conventional crystalline are in a "race to the bottom"
because their products have been commoditized, and the profitability of
wholesalers, value added resellers & contractors has been pounded down in
the process. It's "wholesale to the public" out there.

Some (perhaps to include Joel D.) actually may rejoice to see the
precipitous price drops because it does mean "more PV". "Power to the
People", as one other PV pioneer on this list had used as his corporate
slogan...and I'm all for spreading power around.

Consider, too, however, that profitable retailers...profitable
installers...can be the network through which a new technology gains
acceptance. Those same "trading partner" type companies can ensure quality
deployments and good response to concerns or problems at the end user level,
but only if they can make a good profit by virtue of the business
relationship. Profitability for their trading partners should matter to a PV
manufacturer, and that's where leapfrog type technology can play an
important role.

A company such as Prism Solar must consider what to do with its breakthrough
PV technology. They can slug it out with First Solar at yard-sale
pricing...and if the mega-millions are there for enough production volume
that could pencil out. OR: they could write blanket orders from the many PV
wholesalers and stuff the pipelines...multiple pipelines which would ensure
low markup/low profitability at the wholesale level. Then stand back as the
wholesalers stuff similar multiple pipelines at the retail level, with
similar "downward pounding" effect on the end price for the product.

OR: A company with real breakthrough technology could simply beat the price
for conventional crystalline by, say, 25% but blend in some diligence to
ensure that their trading partners in the field would not find the same
products being rolled out "wholesale to anybody with a computer". What the
trading partners don't receive in yard sale pricing would be offset by the
ability to sell their wares at a fair profit without the pricing pressure
which is now so prevalent in the "mainstream" solar technologies.

In the latter scenario, the mfr. could make just as much money while not
working as hard, because their incremental profit per kilowatt would be
higher. The difficulty is in controlling the behavior of the retailers,
contractors, etc. but many other manufacturers in "mature" industries have
managed to do just that.

Some solar businesses would just have to be "crossed off" as possible
trading partners because of the way they have chosen to operate their
businesses. Others could be requested to not advertise a price lower than
the "minimum advertised price" for the product. Discipline would be needed
on the part of the marketing people, also: they would need to be ready to
cancel product access for any rogue operators who threaten the well being of
the entire group.

*************************************

It will be fun to see new developments in solar technology, but it would be
even more satisfying if technical improvements are also coupled with
marketing methods which take a more long term view.

If I recall correctly, the old *PV NETWORK NEWS* publication was founded by
Joel Davidson, then shepherded carefully by Paul Wilkins for many years.
Here's a blurb from that publication, circa 1985:

"Solar electricity: mature technology, immature market".

Jolliness,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675