[RE-wrenches] aluminum heat fins for radiant retrofit...who's got 'em?

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu Jul 22 06:56:57 PDT 2010

Hello, Wrenches~

Please see the photo on page 48 of the latest *Home Power* magazine (#138).
This shows aluminum fins with an extruded clip into which Rehau type radiant
floor tubing can be clipped.

Where can I get these parts for resale?

Have any of you observed an installation where this approach actually worked
OK? I'm sure the aluminum  fin would extract heat from the tubing OK but the
wood subfloor won't extract heat from the aluminum very quickly. Insulation
between the aluminum fin and the air below it might help, right?

My client wants to retrofit solar heat to an existing home which does not
have the in-floor radiant tubing embedded in lightweight concrete--the more
common way to do a radiant floor. He had planned to drive existing baseboard
radiators but the higher temperature which those require (compared to a
radiant floor) led to this pursuit.

Thanks in advance,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com