[RE-wrenches] Two batteries with an MX60 in between (was big bank)

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sat Jun 26 17:40:44 PDT 2010

Folks,

As you may recall I have 4 strings of 4 batteries parralleled into a single
bank. Each string is 1690Ah @ 48V.  The charging system for this bank is
undersized. I think I would do better by reducing the bank size by running
only 3 strings. However, I don't want to strand the fourth string.

I am wondering what rotating the strings might look like.  One string would
be removed from the bank for a period of perhaps a month. Then it would go
back on-line and onother string would be taken off-line, and so on.

Right away I worry about accelerating the divergence of the strings in terms
of resistence to charging. Going to three stings would reduce this problem,
but trying to rotate strings might
make it worse.

In any case, I would want to float out the dormant string as best I could
while it is off-line.

Would it work to attached the DC input of an MX60 to the on-line bank of
three strings, and the output to the off-line sting, and let the MX keep the
off-line string in float?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way