[RE-wrenches] SQflex pump line verses standard AC pumps

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Fri Jun 25 15:18:32 PDT 2010

SInce we have been discussing powering larger size pumps with inverters and some comments about the SQflex line, we have been evaluating this pump for a remote water pumping application and the specs are very good.  I also like the fact the motor controls can take about any AC or DC voltage, but the solar array they recommend is based on using their 160 volt modules in parallel.

We do not want to use these modules and since the pumpo can handle a wide voltage range we will probably settle for either a 48 or 96 VDC array.   What are you guys using with this pump if you use your own modules?

Also, we have a new off-grid residential application that needs at least 2 to 3 HP due to well depth and flow requirements, and we are considering using a conventional (but high efficency soft start) 240 VAC well pump and only running on generator to keep from installing larger inverters, and just filling a storage tank.   At what point and HP range is it better to not use the SQflex line and pick a larger AC spump??

THanks,

Jeff Yago