[RE-wrenches] Gen set problems

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Jun 14 22:31:35 PDT 2010

Wrenches:

I have a customer that has a problem with a new generator.  He has two
VFX3648 inverters in Outback stacking.  He acquired a new generator, a
Kohler 12RES, a reputable make and model.  Below is a description of the
problem:

The 12RES seems to be operating OK except for one problem.  At the end of a
charging cycle, when the gen automatically shuts down and load goes back to
the inverters, all lights, TVs, etc., flash, one TV shuts off, and a GFI
trips.  This has happened every time.  It did not happen with the 15RES or
the smaller back-up gen (which was disconnected manually).  With the 15RES
the same GFI would occasionally trip while the unit was charging and
handling house load, but never at the auto shutdown point.  I replaced the
GFI, but it still trips.  There are three GFIs in the house, but only
one--always the same--trips.

I suggested he adjust the AC2/Gen transfer delay to a lower number.  He
reduced it to minimum and this did not resolve the problem.  I also had him
verify that the AC source is selected as generator, which it is.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

William Miller

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com