[RE-wrenches] Transformer inrush

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed May 12 16:22:55 PDT 2010

Friends:

I have on off-grid client that is trying to eliminate winter generator run
time.  He has a rental on another corner of the property that has grid
power.  When it was installed, he put in an extra meter, hoping to use it
to run a utility back up feeder to charge batteries.

We are now installing this feeder.  We purchased two 10KVA 240/600 volt
transformers to bump the voltage to 600 and then back down to 120/240.

Here's the problem:  when we energize the circuit breaker that feeds the
transformer, the circuit breaker AND the main breaker trip.  The
transformer is 10KVA, the main is 100 amps and the branch breaker is
60A.  The breakers hold sometimes but trip other times.  This is obviously
an inrush problem.  How do I correct this problem?

Thanks in advance,

William Miller

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com