[RE-wrenches] Load size for off-grid lodge

jason pozner zzyyzzx11 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:38:38 PDT 2010

Hey all,

I am trying to size a PV/generator system for a 10,000 ft2 off-grid
hunting/snowmobile lodge with outbuildings.  The goal is to significantly
reduce current generator run time.  I was wondering if any of you have
experience or suggestions for calculating time of use of lights, etc in a
lodging situation.  My interviews with the rancher have proven fruitless to
pin down any time of use of most loads, though I do have an estimated run
time for the genny in summer and winter.  I did get a pretty good snapshot
of his connected load by turning on all I could on and clamping the feeds.

The lodge is 18 rooms, 4 for the help, and a few outbuildings.  Has anyone
sized any off-grid lodges?   Any other ways to approach the moving target of
such a fluctuating load at a guest lodge?

Thanks
Jay Pozner
Nunatak Alternative Energy Solutions