[RE-wrenches] Lags & Trusses

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Apr 27 06:45:46 PDT 2010

Hello Wrenches,

I just talked to a carpenter, who we are installing an array for.  He
is putting a new roof on the building and was talking to the
manufacturer of the trusses.  He mentioned that he was having an
array installed on the roof.

The truss manufacturer said there were problems with weakening the
truss structure with the lag screw penetrations.  We are now planning
to sister boards next to his trusses instead of penetrating them.

Does this seem like a potential issue?  Is there any data on this?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric