[RE-wrenches] Volcanos and reduced solar production

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 25 09:37:18 PDT 2010

Wrenches,

With the Iceland volcano in the news and winter over, I thought it would be
a good time ask wrenches convince their customers that their reduced solar
production was caused by atmospheric conditions and not their PV system. I'm
not talking about short-term conditions like a few cloudy days. I mean when
you install a PV system in October and have to explain in gloomy February
why their PV system is not performing like you predicted.

Missing the mark can be bad for business. For example, reduced insolation
caused by the El Chichon Mexico volcano was reportedly one of the reasons
that the Luz solar power plants went bankrupt in the 1980s. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Energy_Generating_Systems and
http://www.unige.ch/cuepe/html/biblio/pdf/michalsky-ineichen%201993%20-%20mount%20pinatubo%20and%20solar%20power%20plants%20(solar%20today).pdf

Joel Davidson