[RE-wrenches] Inter-row shading, additional information

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Apr 23 23:26:16 PDT 2010

Friends:

I was incorrect on one point in my previous post on the subject.  The
SolarWorld SW230 is comprised of one series string of cells.  It acts
somewhat like there are three strings because of the bypass diodes. If you
shade one cell of one group, the bypass diodes kick in and allow the module
to continue to produce power but at a reduced level.

Our test showed that if the short edge is shaded for more than half of a
cell width on the narrow edge, the total output caved.  The same shading on
the long edge reduced output minimally.

William Miller

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com