[RE-wrenches] Inter row shading: Portrait V landscape

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Apr 22 20:40:26 PDT 2010

Friends:

99% of the time, we install modules in portrait mode.  We find ourselves
installing a set in landscape with some short inter-row spacing, due to
roof vents.  We are using Solarworld SW230 modules.

It is my understanding that shading the short edge of this type of module
is much more detrimental to the output than shading a long edge.  This is
because of the manner in which the cells within the module are arranged in
series.  I understand that one string is on the bottom half of a module and
the other on the top half of a module in the landscape orientation.  In
order for the module to cease power production, you have to shade at least
one cell from each of the two internal strings.  Therefore, you need to
shade more than half of a module in the landscape mode before the module
before the output declines drastically.

Is my understanding here correct?  I will be testing this tomorrow if
weather permits.

Thanks in advance.

William Miller

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com