[RE-wrenches] Load or Line Side was Solar accumulation panel

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:17:47 PST 2010

Wrenches,

I just had an AHJ require me to switch the load and line connections
on the fused AC disconnect which sits between the inverters (AC
Combiner panel)  and the point of utility connection.  The inverter
was connected on the LOAD side of the fused disconnect, and while the
AHJ agreed this was the safest configuration, (when the disco is OFF
the fuses are safe to remove) he insisted that the PV array should be
connected to the LINE side of the disconnect since it is supplying
power rather than acting as a LOAD.  Any similar experience or
arguments I can make based on the NEC which might help change the
position of the AHJ next time round?  I still believe our initial
installation represents the safest configuration.

Carl Adams
SunRock Solar, LLC