[RE-wrenches] Best angle - direct grid tie

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Jan 4 05:30:28 PST 2010

Hello Wrenches,

My Solar Pathfinder Assistant (SPA) claims that the optimum tilt
angle for the solar modules is latitude.  I'm skeptical.  The system
being designed is a direct grid tie, ground mount.

It seems to me that an angle of latitude will give a balanced angle
for both summer and winter charging.  Since there is far less energy
available in the winter, is this balance really the best.  Also, a
flatter angle in the summer should gain more hours of sun, since the
sun goes N of the E-W axis.

With ballasted systems, the 15 degree angle is supposed to work just
fine, due to better summer charging.  Does anyone have an answer to
what really is the optimum tilt angle for a direct grid tie
system?  Is the SPA geared toward off grid systems, or is latitude
really the best?

Thank you and best wishes for the New Year,

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810
CO License 3773