[RE-wrenches] dual stacked inverters on 208V service

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:18:20 PST 2009

Kent is correct, but you have to go a little further.  We're all still
guessing that you've got Outback G series inverters and FM charge
controllers.  If that's not the case, change some of the nouns below.  In
any case, if the inverters are kept at default programming at some point
down the road (takes about a month before I usually got the call from the
installer) the system will get into a locked cycle and either the charge
controllers will go to float when grid & sun are available, or one inverter
will try to sell while the other is charging.

If you have two inverters and two FM charge controllers, you'll need two
Hubs too (to let the controller know when grid is available so it stays in
bulk). You can share one Mate, but it will have to be manually shuttled back
and forth between the "pair" that you wish to see/program.  In addition, if
you want to share one battery bank you'll need to disable the inverter
charging from the grid, by backing the charge rate back to zero.  After a
power outage, the system will not begin to sell back until after the
renewables have recharged the battery.

Phil Undercuffler
Conergy