[RE-wrenches] Nec 225

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Dec 11 19:38:59 PST 2009

Dick:

I've got no problem responding, but before I complete a quiz, I always like
to make sure I am giving the correct answer.

We have seen this AHJ ask questions they have no right to ask, such as, are
you wiring your batteries in series, parallel or both?  There is no
requirement as to how system voltage is achieved and sometime we change our
minds mid-project, so I decline to answer these questions.

We have also seen them be plain wrong on many issues.  Most of the time I
know the correct interpretation and, if the correction request is valid, I
will modify my design.  If I am being asked to correct something that is
already code compliant, I will politely refuse and provide
substantiation.  Complying with unnecessary requests can be expensive and
sets a bad precedent.  I like to interact the AHJ on a very professional
level and it's all about doing one's homework.

William

At 06:33 PM 12/11/2009, you wrote:
>William,
>
>No, I mean what is your problem with complying with the request, "Show the
>number of existing circuits and/or the
>disconnecting means for panel C". Why not just do that?
>
>Dick
>

>--- You wrote:
>Dick:
>
>I too am mystifed.  I sent a request for clarification but have not
>heard back.  It may be some kind of power trip as we have been at odds
>over many issues.  I will report back.
>
>William Miller
>Millersolar.com
>
>On Dec 11, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Richard.L.Ratico at VALLEY.NET (Richard L
>Ratico) wrote:
>
> > William,
> >
> > No direct specific experience with this, but, respectfully, what is
> > the problem?
> > The code sections seem clear and not unreasonable nor arduous.
> >
> > Dick Ratico
> > Solarwind Electric
> >

> > --- You wrote:
> > Friends:
> >

> > I just received a plan correction for a grid-tie permit application
> > wherein
> > the inspector is questioning compliance with section 225.  Below is
> > the
> > text of the correction notice:
> >
> > The existing panel C in the pump house must comply with NEC 225.31. 225.32
> > & 225.33. Show the number of existing circuits and/or the
> > disconnecting
> > means for panel C.
> >
> > Has anyone ever had experience with this section being applied to a
> > grid-tie system?  The inverters will be inside a pump house remote
> > from the
> > main residence.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > William Miller
> >
>--- end of quote ---
>
>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
>Check out participant bios:
>www.members.re-wrenches.org

>12/11/09 02:06:00

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com