[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Dec 3 08:41:47 PST 2009

Friends:

Regardless of what material you prefer to protect battery posts, I don't
recommend applying it until after the connection is torqued.  The cable
ends and the terminals need to be wire brushed immediately prior to
assembly.  We had to dis-assemble a set of batteries and move them for 48
hours.  The terminals had been cleaned the previous day.  After sitting
under a cover for 48 hours, when re-assembled, the terminals had enough
invisible corrosion to cause a significant inability to charge
correctly.  After cleaning the terminals the problem was corrected.  We use
a small Makita grinder with a wire brush.  This does require care to avoid
arcing and brushing away knuckle skin.

Napa Auto has a spray-on terminal protectant that skins over nicely, making
less of a mess when checking electrolyte levels.  It also has an attractive
cranberry color.

William Miller