[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Wed Dec 2 20:33:08 PST 2009

Michael,

There are 12  1/0 cables running from the batteries for each side of the
buss, pos and neg plus the two 4/0 cables.  There are 12 series strings in
that 24v system wXH consisting of two 12 volt 100-amphour DCS-100L Dynasty
deep cycle AGM batteries.  That system has so far been in place for 6 years
and is rock solid.  We've since sold the house but my last two annual
checkups (which I don't do anymore) showed nothing great than a 1/10 volt
difference between the individual 12-volt batteries throughout the bank.
I've replaced one cable which is incredibly easy (as easy as working with
batteries ever gets anyway) and required no shutting down of the system.

It's been a while since I had the engineering discussion with the Dynasty
engineer who spec'ed these batteries for me and reiterated what I'd already
been told about using buss bars by the wholesaler I used to deal with.  I
suspect Jamie can give a better technical explanation but I do recall he
said that while the virtual circuit looks the same in a diagram the behavior
of the system is different using the buss.

Tom