[RE-wrenches] Other's thoughts on Autonomy? was concord batteries, EQUALIZE Them!

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Dec 1 17:58:45 PST 2009

I really studied this at one time, and what's interesting is that if a battery bank is too large, (regular discharges less than 20%) you're not really getting your money's worth, as the # of cycles x amount of discharge is less.  Likewise, a battery that is discharged regularly deeper than 70% starts eating life too. It's surprisingly even however, from 20% DOD to around 70%; more cycles less discharge, or less cycles, more discharge, you get about the same total KWH total out of the pack over its life either way. (just take a cycle life chart for most batteries, and start multiplying cycles by DOD at different points)
The bottom line is, you might save some money upfront with a smaller battery bank, but it won't last as long. Therefore, the replacement cost ( labor to move out old bats, move in new) is higher with a smaller bank, so the total operating cost over the system life is higher, too.
Also, the charge rates that battery companies list are really for big, dumb on-grid chargers, not the 3 stage PWM units with temp comp that we use. I've found systems with really low charge rates to actually last a very long time. We're trading possible under charging and sulfation to avoid chronic over charging (and over heating) which is the real killer IMHO. Somewhere between is optimum.

I still do 5 days storage to 100% DOD, (or 4 days to 80%, same thing) for our avg. off grid systems, and tweak it down if we need to save money. Big systems with a good generator can work fine at less than 3 days. Of course local weather is a factor in this too. We get long spells of cold, cloudy weather followed by a couple of weeks of nice sun.

For GT w/ backup, I size for more like 8 hours. As was said before, they'll probably die from the float service, not the cycling. Even a really small battery will still work if the grid is out for a longer time, they'll just have to do more when the sun is out, and go to bed early.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer