[RE-wrenches] Kohler 8.5RES ignition glitch

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Sun Nov 29 12:07:19 PST 2009

I did have the valve covers off and cranked it over a few times, as that was an easy check, all good there, valves, springs, rockers, push rods all functioning fine, this motor is really clean w/ only 262 hours, and about 40 hours on the last oil change. I manually pushed on each valve to check spring tension too.

When I had the visible plug wire off, on the service side of the motor, the engine actually ran pretty good. Then I unplugged the back side and tried running it on the front side plug, it did sputter, but not run good. Then with both plug wires installed it flat won’t sputter or run. This is a strange test to do, I accidentally left the one side unplugged, and when it started and ran good I thought the fresh spark plugs fixed the issue, cracked plug or?

Is it ok for me to call Carl directly today?

Sincerely,

Chris Worcester

Solar Wind Works
NABCEP Certified PV Installer