[RE-wrenches] wiring the Soladeck

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Nov 25 10:06:28 PST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:34 AM, William Miller wrote:

> At 11:21 PM 11/24/2009, you wrote:
>> Ok William, I'll bite: what are your exclusive PV wire Transition Boxes?
>
> Ray:
>
> http://millersolar.com/practices/Technical_Procedures/PV_wiring/PV_wiring.html

William;

That's some of the cleanest open array wiring I've seen. Very nice, but now the rest of us have to go back and clean up all our old work!
I also liked your method of quickly tightening connectors for flex conduit with a drill.

>> Article 100, definition of accessible says:
>> "capable of being .... exposed without damaging the building structure or finish....."
>>  it seems unbolting a module to get at the j box isn't doing anything to the building.
>
> Unbolting a module (or lifting a bottom-up rack) is often a two person job.  Although this is not "damaging a building or structure,"  it defies common sense to make accessing a splice or breaker for troubleshooting so difficult.
>
> William Miller

I agree, it should not be a two man job.(add that to the definition of accessible?) I would only think it would be OK to put a Jbox under the array, if it was a top down mounting system with modules small enough for one guy to handle.
I've changed out damaged modules by myself before on a system with ProSolar mounts, and it took maybe 2 minutes to unbolt and remove the old module. (4 bolts with a small electric impact driver)

Thanks for sharing your work and thoughts,

Ray Walters