[RE-wrenches] Nabcep - grid tie---Off grid

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Tue Nov 24 11:12:38 PST 2009

I try to do more lurking here than participating, simply because there are
many experienced installers here with similar experience and knowledge. I
do agree with the earlier post that maintains the best experience with off
grid systems is living with off grid solar. Our office is 100% off grid as
was my home up to about 5 years ago when Maine made it more equitable to
be tied in.
That said, I will say that installations of straight grid tied systems
require less knowledge and experience and therefore might, in my mind,
qualify as a "journeyman" type licensing by NABCEP. I do believe that any
electrician can learn to do code compliant grid tied systems in a fairly
short period of time.
 Full PV certification should involve both grid tie and off grid, in my
opinion. Our transition to grid tie was pretty much seamless, while fully
twenty years later I still find myself learning the in's and out's of
programming the newest and "best" equipment available to the off grid
world.
 I suspect this will not go over well with some but remember, it's just
one mans opinion. :-)

Daryl