[RE-wrenches] Nabcep - grid tie---Off grid

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Nov 24 23:48:03 PST 2009

Friends:

I'd like to make two brief points on the training/NABCEP debate:

1. If I thought NABCEP certification would get me one more job I'd normally
lose to a low-ball bidder, I'd be inclined to sit for the test, but it won't.

2. Most solar electric installers could not be considered
electricians.  Until they learn the trade, they are not qualified to
install the most basic grid tie system.  Conversely, many electricians with
the most basic electrical skills think they know all that needs to be known
to design and install solar-electric.  Wrong again.

I don't support the IBEW concept of taking over the solar industry by
force, but I do respect their concept of actually encouraging well rounded
electrician's skills.  How many solar installers can actually lay an offset
into a stick of EMT?  Not many.  Most are glorified stereo installers,
plugging and praying.

Respectfully,

William Miller