[RE-wrenches] Generator bonding discussion

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Nov 12 10:05:12 PST 2009

Portable generators do not usually ground to a premise wiring
system.  The neutral and equipment ground bond to the frame.  I don't
know how safe or unsafe it is, but that is normal operation for these
machines.   This method is required by 250.34, and is acceptable for
cord and plug applications, which this is.

At 11:49 AM 11/12/2009, you wrote:
>At 10:08 -0500 12/11/09, Drake Chamberlin wrote:
>>

>>Using a 3 to 2 prong adaptor might be the best solution where code
>>rigidity is not the norm.
>
>As I understand it, this removes the grounding wire that linked the
>genset to the house.  If the neutral wire comes loose, then you are
>almost guaranteed to have a lethal voltage between the generator
>frame and house ground.   That doesn't seem likely to be the safest
>solution although it might be the simplest to install.
>--
>Hugh Piggott
>
>Scoraig Wind Electric
>Scotland