[RE-wrenches] China, Mexico, now what?

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 09:36:53 PST 2009

Jeff

Perhaps the concern of any of these companies being around is real, but my sense is this market is just beginning to grow as we know it.
http://earth2tech.com/2009/09/08/first-solar-to-build-worlds-largest-pv-solar-farm-for-chinese-government/

This is just one project, but it is inevitable that there will be more. Made in USA company sending their product to China, while the other Chinese manus are sending their products here.......?

As the computer industry experienced consolidation and the talent that was with another company will migrate to the stronger competitor who then becomes the owner of a newly merged entity will continue for some time.

Personally, I believe we will see a renaissance in the mod frame concept for years to come. Two notables @ the show this year where SunPower with their T-5 for flat roofs, Sollega and ZepSolar with their grooved frame to eliminate racking for pitched roofs.

Innovation will continue, just like Outback going from a 48 V controller to opening up the voltage window on the top end to allow us to wire multiple mods in series. I recall even their 3048 inverters transformers are potted in India, unless this shifted back to our shores?

What the industry needs in America to support R&D as well as manufacturing, is a comprehensive national RPS, national net metering, national FIT, national baseline incentive program (state incentives that are equal whether it be a tax credit, CSI etc).....then we will have a robust solar economy that Wall st and Main st will invest in for the long haul that will create jobs and use our ingenuity to be a leader again in this space. It appears the current administration is working on populating new companies in Detroit and in other locales around our country to deliver on a made in the USA platform as well. Alot of dept of energy projects require made in the USA, so it seems like the govt is the largest consumer of services (and energy) and would signal to the market soon that it is safe (long term commitment) to setup a business here and you won't need to worry about incentives dithering away in x amount of years.

So, until this change takes place, we will see incremental changes that could be construed as being frustrating, like finding a made in the USA label with all of the trimmings of a thanksgiving feast.