[RE-wrenches] peformance matters

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Tue Nov 10 09:50:22 PST 2009

The common metric for many consumers when considering a PV system purchase
is the $/watt cost of the installed system.  This misleading metric allows
low-priced bottom feeders (those licensed and unlicensed contractors working
out of their garage or storage spaces) to clobber those of us who pay all of
the taxes and insurances and infrastructure costs to run a brick-and-mortar
operation with employees, etc.

But when it comes down it, what really matters to the consumer is not the
$/watt installed cost but the kWhs produced by the system over time.  For
what good is a cheap PV system if its output is poor?

Our focus as PV integrators should instead be to emphasize the superior
performance of our offered products, as in kWhs produced.

To that end, where can we go for objective performance data comparing brands
X, Y and Z in monitored side-by-side testing over time?  Ideally if we had
multiple sites worldwide, with multiple climate conditions, we would be able
to see whether a 2 kW array of brand X put out more power than brand Y.

Can anyone point me to readily available data comparing the performance of
the major mod manufacturers in side-by-side testing?

Gracias amigas y amigos,

Marco

ProVision Solar