[RE-wrenches] OB Battery Charging

Wallace Stahle wstahle at pacific.net
Mon Nov 9 20:17:35 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "R Ray Walters" <ray at solarray.com>

> I think that periodic Equalization is "old school", a concept left
> over from the days of C30 controllers that didn't fully charge the
> batteries on a regular basis.

Ray,  Fully charged by what criteria?

Time spent at absorbtion or a hydrometer or...?

> I now only recommend Eq charging if:
> a) the batteries have sat for over a month in a deeply discharged
> state, or

How do you know how discharged for how long?

> b) checking individual cell voltages indicates more than a 2%
> difference between batteries. (over a tenth on a 6 v battery)

That works on 2 volt cells but do you occasionally verify your conclusions
with a hydrometer?

I have been these days and discovering that "fully charged" parameters dont
always translate into fully charged battery chemistry.

Still fine tuning my understanding here.
Thanks