[RE-wrenches] Report-Guidelines for Roof-mounted PV System Installations

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Mon Nov 2 12:33:03 PST 2009

The original code citation here was directed toward large rooftop unit
(RTU) air conditioners and other large equipment that can not be
disconnected without extensive cost and disruption to the building
occupants during re-roofing. Hopefully this helps someone in case they
have this imposed as a requirement on their future work, but Miami-Dade,
Broward Board of Codes and Appeals provided an interpretation that this
code requirement would NOT apply to PV and thermal systems if they could
be installed in a manner that would allow the system to be readily
removed and reinstalled for re-roofing purposes.

Sorry that sounds subjective, but hopefully no one will actually
encounter this. It would be a shame to see this imposed right as BIPV
[finally] takes off... especially if that inspector also requires you to
install a handrail around the roof perimeter. I'm guessing that BIPV is
not addressed within this "first attempt" report.

DKC