[RE-wrenches] micro-hydro distribution problem

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Mon Oct 26 01:15:40 PDT 2009

The centralised battery seems the most sensible option in terms of
economies of scale and diversity of loads, but I have built a system
using the old Trace PS inverters (and presume that the Xantrex XW
would fit).  Maybe you guys could use an Outback FX but here in the
world of 50 Hz they are not capable of 'gen support'.

Each house has its own battery and inverter.  Feed each inverter from
the hydro turbine and tell it what current it is allowed to draw.  If
the turbine is producing 6 amps then each of four houses can have 1.5
amps each.  The hydro power largely goes directly through the
inverter to the load which is very efficient.  Peak loads are met
from the battery which is charged during times of reduced demand.
You also need an AC voltage regulation system at the hydro turbine
itself which will usually have its own dump load that can probably be
allocated to the largest house or the nearest.

Seemed to work pretty well.  Better than I expected actually.  The
inverters behaved gracefully under system overload for example.  If
the hydro flow drops off a bit they do not crash the system.

have fun.

Hugh

--
Hugh Piggott