[RE-wrenches] Rooftop wiring methods between multiple subarrays

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Sat Oct 10 09:16:26 PDT 2009

Bill and all -

Good old home depot. Are these bushings you speak of similar to the one pictured here?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000UEDU6M/ref=asc_df_B000UEDU6M915738?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=dealtmp386263-20&creative=380345&creativeASIN=B000UEDU6M&linkCode=asm

If so, I'm wondering if these are rated for outdoor use. I found one link that seems to mention that they are indeed rated for indoor and outdoor use but that would surprise me since the lay in lug is made of aluminum and I don't think the screws are stainless. I thought only tin coated copper lugs with stainless hardware are good for outdoors.

My other question is if we run, for example, a #10 bare copper ground through this lug and then into the EMT is it ok to have the bare copper touch the metal conduit? As I mentioned on a previous post it doesn't seem like a good idea from a galvanic perspective but through experience I haven't found any problems with it. Does any one have any reference to code material specifically allowing or not allowing this?

-August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation
O: 415.564.7652