[RE-wrenches] wire gauge reducers

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:46:02 PDT 2009

Hi Khirpal,

The cure may be worse than the disease...

These are called Pin Adapters. Never, NEVER use the word "reducer" when
referring to current carrying conductors or accessories! You stand the
chance of raising suspicion by the "authorities"... lol

Pin Adapters crimp onto the end of your wire. The other end (reduced size)
goes into the terminal. Ilsco, Burndy, T&B... They all make similar items,
as do the other major mfrs. I've used Ilsco & Burndy. Ilsco P/N CPM-4
reduces 4 AWG to 6 AWG Pin.  Details here:
http://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?kfjkff=Nkc4drxhuSGdPI6wzswaUg%3D%3D
<http://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?kfjkff=Nkc4drxhuSGdPI6wzswaUg%3D%3
D&fjjfhjhj=%2BLWyZZDrC8tzlOJfhlWHQA%3D%3D>
&fjjfhjhj=%2BLWyZZDrC8tzlOJfhlWHQA%3D%3D  You will need a good terminal
press (crimper) with the appropriate die.

The reason I mention that the cure may be worse than the disease is that
these things are STIFF and they take up an extra 1-1/2" or so in length.
Since you're already in cramped quarters in that box, you might have trouble
getting good alignment with the terminals. It is also possible that the
cubic volume of the enclosure and the turning room is insufficient for #4 in
the first place.

If you go this route, I suggest torquing the terminals, letting them sit for
awhile, then re-torquing them.

Hope this is helpful,

Matt Lafferty

  _____