[RE-wrenches] array grounding in Canada

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 13:11:02 PDT 2009

Wrenches,

Canadian Electric Code rule 84-030 states that a direct power source connected through an inverter shall not be grounded unless the inverter AC power is separated from the supply authority system by an isolating transformer.

Our proposed system would be separated by a step up transformer to medium voltage.  The Canadian code doesn't seem to address floating arrays.  Anyone know of any precedents or other reasons why a floated array shouldn't be allowable in Canada?

Thanks,
Jerry Caldwell