[RE-wrenches] wind generators

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Aug 28 12:55:24 PDT 2009

I've got a few Bergeys flying, some have been up for almost 10 years.
Yea I've had to work on them, but Bergey has always been responsive.
My suggestions:
1)ground really well, because lightning is definitely a problem,
2)If in a high gust area, consider the shorter blades, it lowers the
max output to prevent blowing the controller
3)Do NOT oversize the wires, as at average wind speed the volt drop
won't be bad, and at max output it helps lower the surges. Bergey
actually had me install a huge resistor in series to mellow out an
old XL1, imagine my feelings after putting in 300 ft of oversized
wire, to then essentially downsize it.
4) Don't go too tall, their 50 ft tower is a very nice compromise of
height, and workability. I can drop a 50 ft tower as fast as the 30
ft. I did a 125 ft high one once, and that is really getting sketchy
both installing, and for lightning.
5) Get a spare rectifier, and fuses, so if you do have a lighting
incident, you don't have to make 2 trips.
6) Get a receiver mounted winch for your truck, for raising and
lowering.

My 2 pennies,

R. Walters
Solarray.com