[RE-wrenches] Solar and pumped hydro

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Tue Aug 25 16:00:25 PDT 2009

Hi Keith,

Sorry about #4, should have said " pumped storage just isn't practical
for small systems.

So the long version is that to get away from batteries, you would need
whats called an AC direct hydro.
This hydro would power the AC loads directly, no inverters, no
batteries.
What gets tricky is that since the hydro has to power EVERYTHING
including surge it needs to be pretty large for many of todays loads.
So 8 kw would be pretty small ( about a 4kw inverter system ) and 15kw
+ not uncommon for an AC direct system.
Which means you need a lot of water/drop to get this kind of watts
from your hydro.

In getting away from batteries, inverters etc its a very cost
effective and reliable system, and really about the ultimate system.
Typically these systems run for years, decades without problems, with
a bit of maintenance of course.

Besides the turbine you need a controller system that will keep the
voltage constant.  These use SS controls with diversion loads to keep
the voltage constant under all loads ( within the parameters of the
system) so you don't blow things up when the compressor turns off or
on for that matter.
One benefit of these dump loads is that you can make hot water for
domestic and space heating, air conditioning, leave lights on, you
name it.

Hope this makes sense,

jay

peltz power