[RE-wrenches] XW6048 parts problem

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:16:09 PDT 2009

We, too, do about 5 XW AC coupled systems per year and they can definitely
be issue prone.  The latest issue that we have is a system with 2 Sunpower
3300x (positively grounded GT3.3's) inverters and an XW6048.  The system
operates as expected when the grid is present but when the grid goes down
craziness ensues.  The 3300x's shut down for 5 minutes as expected but when
they power back on they ramp up for anywhere from 1-15 minutes before
shutting down again.  After this happens 2 or 3 times the XW (which
comunicates with the 3300x's via a daisy chained CAT-5 for overvoltage
shutdown control, as persribed by Xantrex) shuts down as well even though
the battery volatage is within limits, cutting power to the critical loads.
Of course Xantrex tech support has been entirely unhelpful.  I am thinking
that the inrush of current through the output terminals of the XW is just
too much for it to handle, but of course I can't get confirmation on that.
It should be noted that Xantrex does say the AC coupling is an "unsupported"
function of the XW, eve though they did put out that Tech Note on AC
coupling and had at least 5 of the systems at the Solar Decathalon in DC 2
years ago... I should also say that Mike McGowen at Xantrex (I think one of
the developers of the XW?) has been helpful, but he is not in tech support
and had limited availablitity to troubleshoot systems.

So I have decided that, along with Sunpower we will foresake Xantrex for
SMA.  Our next AC coupled system will be with a Sunny Boy inverter and a
Sunny Island.  Incednetally, SMA is holding a webinar this Tuesday on the
Sunny Island.  The SMA system eliminates the need for overvoltage relays
with some sort of frequency modulation (ingenious) and I am hoping will not
be prone to the other issues that seem to plague AC coupled XW systems.

Andrew Truitt
Standard Solar Inc.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Peter Parrish <peter.parrish at calsolareng.com