[RE-wrenches] Power Factor

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Thu Jul 30 13:02:54 PDT 2009

Ron,

Here is a definition for Power Factor that we used in our String Inverter
guide in SP1.1:

POWER FACTOR AT RATED OUTPUT
Definition: The ratio of true power to apparent power in the inverter ac
output circuit at its rated power.
ability to do useful work. Apparent power includes both work-producing power
and reactive power measured in volt-amperes. Power factor is a comparison of
watts to volt-amperes or real power to apparent power in an ac circuit. If
the power factor in a circuit is 1.0, then all of the power generated is
available to do useful work.

The point is that you can describe the power factor for an inverter‹it
approaches unity (see the Table in SP1.1)‹but this does not apply for PV
modules. You can simply write ³NA² in the space provided. If they ask why,
the simplest explanation it that PV modules are part of a DC circuit and
power factor applies to AC circuits. It¹s not at all uncommon for
interconnection documents to request information that is not applicable to
PV systems.

Best,

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine
NABCEP Certified PV Installer 
david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545
Fax:  541.512.0343

Visit our Web site at solarprofessional.com

(Sample copy available for download at: solarprofessional.com/sample)