[RE-wrenches] Solar Boost Controller in Senegal

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jun 30 14:40:16 PDT 2009

Larry,

You're absolutely right in your first paragraph about one thing that I
stated incorrectly: MPPT is for harvesting the most power possible from any
voltage being produced above the battery voltage. I meant the difference
between Vmp and Vbatt, not, not the difference between Voc and Vmp. Thanks
for catching that. Sorry all.

In a hot climate the MPPT benefit is greatest if the array is wired at a
higher nominal voltage than the battery. Hot 12V or 24V modules don't have
enough of a voltage window between Vmp and Vbatt to justify MPPT, and a
tropical climate seldom takes advantage of the higher Vmp of cool/cold
modules that temperate winters provide. Larry, this is just my opinion, and
I respect yours, given that you work in the hottest year-round climate in
the mainland US there in southern Arizona, don't you? (You must get tired of
people making bad jokes and then asking where's your sense of Yuma, I
'spect.)

The SB series uses an adjustable analog boost that is limited to a fairly
narrow range. Even ancient Arco M52L Quad-Lams, with a Vmp around 44V,
exceeded this adjustment range on 24 in-24 out - I tried this years ago.

I have no challenge to Blue Sky's support - I have even called Rick on his
cell phone on a Sunday and gotten answers I have needed. He knows his stuff,
has never refused to help, and has occasionally sent us products to try and
givefeedback on.

But we have just seen enough failures on units 4-10 years old where
installation errors couldn't be blamed and lightning protection was in
place. I have never seen a single failure among the few SB2000 or SB3024i
units we've installed or sold. The 3048 has shown the highest failure rate,
although certainly not higher than other well-regarded units. But the
failures have always required sending the units in for service, and my guess
is that that would be practically impossible in Senegal.

Thank you for catching my mistake.

Allan

Allan Sindelar

Allan at positiveenergysolar.com