[RE-wrenches] Solar Boost Controller in Senegal

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Jun 30 11:45:00 PDT 2009

Allan,

MPPT technology is for harvesting the most power possible from any
voltage being produced above the battery voltage, not the difference
between Voc and Vmp. Because of this, nearly every battery charging
system will benefit  from MPPT chargers. The climate does not matter
for properly designed systems. In a hot climate (like Yuma ;) ) you
want a much higher operating voltage from the PV panels. There will
still be a big advantage from MPPT. There are very few situations
where I would recommend a non-MPPT controller anymore.

Concerning Blue Sky charge controller failures, I have sold and
installed over 1000 BSE products at our retail store over the years
and they have the LOWEST failure of any controllers we have sold. And,
the customer service is second to no one else. I understand and agree
with your opinion to have serviceable equipment in remote locations.
The most reliable equipment should be considered first. I also believe
that a project like the one Walt is dealing with should have included
spare equipment as part of sale, and, of course, it should have been
designed right.

I had a Phocos MPPT 100/20 in a test setup for 10 months when it
failed. I can't even begin to talk about Outback problems unless I
take my comments to the RE-bitching list. The BSE 3048 would be a good
replacement controller because it has the same footprint as the SB50
and will handle the high Voc.

Kindest Regards,

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar
(928) 941-1660
Renewable Energy Products, Service and Installation

Mailing Address (NO SHIPPING):
11881 S Fortuna Rd.
Yuma, AZ 85367

Shipping and retail store (NO MAIL):