[RE-wrenches] Solar Magic

David G Katz dkatz at aeesolar.com
Sat Jun 20 19:34:20 PDT 2009

Don,
SolarMagic is an MPPT DC to DC converter that you put on every modules
in a string where some of the modules are going to be shaded. You would
only do this if there are other strings that had no shading. When a
module (or two) in the string is (are) shaded, the SolarMagic devices on
the modules that are _*not*_ shaded raise their output voltage and lower
their current, keeping them individually at maximum power point so that
this string has the same voltage as the non-shaded strings in the
system, and is therefor matched the MPPT voltage of the string inverter.
Typically, if you shade a module in a string, its voltage drops
somewhere between 1/2 of its peak power voltage and all of its peak
power voltage.  This can lower the string 20 to 40 volts.  If there are
other non-shaded strings attached to the input of the same string
inverter, the shaded string will try to rise in voltage to equal the
non-shaded strings, causing the modules in the shaded string to each
rise in voltage several volts, taking them off their maximum power
point.  Because of the nature of the I-V curve of the modules, this may
lower their output by 25% to 50%, lowering the power of that string bu
more than 25%-50%.
SolarMagic would cause the string to only drop by the wattage of the
shaded module, possible only 5% in a 20 module string.
I see the use of these devices making sense as a retrofit in a system
that was installed by someone who did not understand how much loss there
is in a shaded string that is in parallel with non-shaded strings.
Cheers,
David

David Katz

President