[RE-wrenches] Code "Authorities"

Brian Crise bcrise at nietc.org
Mon Jun 8 07:53:08 PDT 2009

Gentleman,
I could tell you the reason why the Code panel was disbanded
(reassigned) by NFPA.  I was on the panel since 2002 and am on the
current 2011 CMP #4.  Panel 13 had jurisdiction over several articles
including PV.  Two of the issues (Article 695, Fire Pumps, and Article
700, Emergency Systems) had contentious issues with them.  Article 695
was an attempt at a complete rewrite that didn't go over to well.
Article 700, in particular, 700.27 dealing with selective coordination
was a very heated issue.  The panel was nearly split down the middle
every time we meet over those issues.  After Panel 13's articles were
reassigned, I was asked by my sponsor to again sit on Panel #4 which
has Article 690, 692 and now possibly 694, (Wind systems).  My opinion
was that Article 690 wasn't the cause of Panel 13's reassignment.
Regards,
Brian

NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Oregon General Supervising Electrician #5156S
Oregon Electrical Inspector "A" Level certificate
Member of NEC CMP 4

To contact Brian L Crise:

Address:
16021 NE Airport Way