[RE-wrenches] sales to-date

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 31 18:23:57 PDT 2009

Hello Marco,

This is an interesting (I think RE-Markets) dialogue.

I'm sorry to hear about Hawaiian utility obstructionism. The electric
utility on the island nation of Barbados just decided to do a renewables
feed-in tariff. I hope the Hawaiian government steps in to remind utilities
what they have known for many years: that distributed PV provides grid
voltage support and offsets fossil fuel generation.

It is hard to tell how much U.S. and global PV sales are down because of the
recession, unemployment, finance industry meltdown, and consumer fear. It is
also hard to tell how much PV sales are up because a lot of multi-megawatt
project announcements have not announced start or completion dates. However,
most prognosticators think 2009 global PV sales will be down but U.S. sales
will be up.

On the one hand, the California Solar Incentive (CSI) administrators are
bragging. See
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/NR/rdonlyres/84D12BA8-CCA0-4713-B145-F7B8EE4A9481/0/AprilCSIStaffProgressReportwithDataAnnex.pdf?utm_campaign=California%20Solar%20Initiative%20Newsletter%20-%20April%202009&utm_content=bob.aldrich@comcast.net&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_term=April%202009%20CSI%20Staff%20Progress%20Report

On the other hand, Suncentric's report shows the CSI is not on track to hit
its 3,000 MW goal of subsidized PV by the end of 2016 and needs to be
changed. See
http://www.suncentricinc.com/downloads/SunCentric-Business-Perspectives-CSI-Report-April-9-Final.pdf

The silicon shortage and European PV boom drove solar module prices up
temporarily, but prices are back to where they were tracking (5% reduction
for every doubling of production). First Solar low-cost announcements and
global module inventories are creating further downward price pressure which
is both good and bad. Good because PV system prices are affordable to more
people (if they have a job and money to buy stuff). Bad because politicians
are again saying that solar energy does not need subsidies (but coal, oil,
gas, and nuclear energy still do).

In Southern California, PV and solar thermal contractors are busy but are
feeling market crowding and margin squeeze as a new wave of people (who lost
their jobs) get into the solar business. Big PV is getting bigger as the big
U.S. solar contractors get bigger and go global and European and Asian PV
manufacturers and contractors compete for U.S. installation contracts.
SolarCity is selling (not just leasing) PV systems with First Solar modules
faster than they can install them. Indications are the ride is going to get
even bumpier when the federal stimulus money starts trickling down (up or
sideways depending on one's political persuasion). Hang on. The best is yet
to come.

Joel Davidson