[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island does not support using a transfer switching grid tie mode

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Apr 24 14:07:47 PDT 2009

All:

I haven't read the whole email but I want to let everyone know that we have
had terrible problems with the Xantrex XW product. Part of the problem is
that not everyone in tech support there is equally knowledgeable about their
XW line and they give inconsistent advice and in some cases incorrect
advice, Chalk it up to good intentions if you will but in this case they
paved the way to my private hell.

We have had problems with the last two XW systems we have installed and in
each case the resolution was slow in coming. To make things worse, Xantrex
kept trying us to upload "new firmware" as a panacea, which requires a piece
of equipment that they charge the installer for, and a laptop. The bottom
line, it takes another week for the stuff to come, another service call to
upload the firmware and shipping the equipment back to Xantrex (if you want
you CC charge reversed).

In one case the "new firmware" was suggested for an XW that was manufactured
two months earlier. So either Xantrex has prematurely released the XW line
(by over a year) or they're just guessing at our time and expense).

I would like to nominate "I think some new firmware should solve your
problem" as one of the "top ten WAGs" in the inverter tech support
community. Does anyone want to share their favorite?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com

  _____