[RE-wrenches] Solar Combi-systems: Heat dump or Stagnate?

Karl Schwingel karl at northwindrenewable.com
Thu Apr 23 10:07:50 PDT 2009

do you mean a drainback system? they're pretty common in space heating
systems here in the midwest.  a 4-5 panel pressurized system will do ok
in the summer with out a huge dump load if the tank's reasonably sized,
and the panels are tipped steep enough.

drainbacks are common where there isn't room for a huge storage tank
(just the 80-120 for the DHW part of the system) and any extra heat goes
into a fan coil or coil in the furnace or whatever will get it into the
house.  in the summer when there's no heat load, the tank high limits at
140 F or so, and then shuts off.

hot water systems are so regionally specific, that without knowing more
of the situation, that's all I can give you.
Karl

Troy Harvey wrote:
> I'm wondering how many of you out there have installed medium sized
> solar hot water systems (6-8 panel) that were designed to stagnate
> during summertime over production as opposed to diverting to a heat
> dump or radiator? The International solar agency has a couple of
> papers that show a properly designed system should be able to stagnate
> in a way that the boiling glycol mix vapors in the panels, purge the
> panels of fluid, turning off the system without degrading the glycol.
>
> That doesn't seem to be a typical way to design systems in the U.S. ,
> we've usually gone to a heat dump. Does anyone have experience with this?
>

> Troy Harvey
>
> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Karl Schwingel
NABCEP Certified Solar Thermal Installer
NorthWind Renewable Energy LLC

PO Box 723 Stevens Point, WI 54481
Karl at Northwindre.com
Cell: 715 209 0446
Fax : 715 952 4501

This e-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named
recipient(s) above, and may contain information that is privileged or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, or are not a named recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from
your computer. Thank you.