[RE-wrenches] DSL routers for off grid

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Mon Apr 13 10:23:58 PDT 2009

On 4/13/09 10:41 AM, jeff Wongstrom wrote:
> We have had an ongoing problem with slow internet speed caused by
> multiple issues, most of which seem to have been corrected over the
> past three years with much troubleshooting and with several service
> calls.
>
> However, one issue remains and seems to be the following:
>
> During the winter we power down the entire computer system at night
> and the inverter goes to sleep.  DSL internet speed gradually
> decreases over a few days to dial up speeds or worse.  We have found
> that disconnecting the telephone line from the Comtrend ADSL2 router
> for several minutes and then reconnecting it brings the internet speed
> back up.

It's possible your line is noisy which could be causing causing the
DSLAM to drop the rate over time.  I'm also suspicious of the inverter
sleep mode doing something funny with the DSL modem.

I really prefer running a small 12V DC system for network hardware (DSL
modem, router/wireless, and perhaps cordless phone base station) both on
and off-grid.  With a simple ATC fuse block and a few pigtails, I can
power the whole batch off a single charge controller or PSU and replace
an armload of wallwarts.  For grid-connected customers, a single 12V SLA
(30-100 AH range) can provide reliable connectivity for laptops and
cordless telephones during outages.