[RE-wrenches] Solar power on Truck?

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar larry at starlightsolar.com
Mon Apr 6 16:39:39 PDT 2009

Hi Ryan,

I have actually built an A/C system and power-pack for a trucker. It
consisted of a highly efficient mini-split which draws under 400
watts. I installed a quality (Invertek) 1500 watt sine wave inverter
and 16 kWh AGM battery bank and made a low loss connection to the
alternator so it will ramp up the current.

When driving, the alternator charges the battery. When stopped, he has
up to 8 hours of very quiet cooling. Putting PV on the roof, as you
guessed, is useless unless you want to float the batteries when not in
use. You will never make enough power to run the AC. When you compare
this system to APU's, you save thousands.

A few drawbacks to consider:
1.) The added weight to the cab is about 900 lbs. I mounted the
battery bank and inverter under the bed.
2.) Loss of storage space.
3.) Main engine must run for 8 hours to fully charge the battery for
the next use.

Add a 50 amp charger and you can plug in to run A/C and keep the
battery topped off.

Good luck.

Kindest Regards,

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar
(928) 941-1660
Renewable Energy Products, Service and Installation

Mailing Address (NO SHIPPING):
11881 S Fortuna Rd.
Yuma, AZ 85367

Shipping and retail store (NO MAIL):