[RE-wrenches] Trace SW Stacking Cable?

Carl Hansen solarwks at cybermesa.com
Wed Apr 1 14:17:16 PDT 2009

William,

  To set the record straight and as I told you I am using a standard 25 pin, double male cable for the REMOTE only for the programming of SW and PS inverters. I only suggested it may work for the stacking cable, and to check with Xantrex. Now that I think about it, it stands to reason that there would be different cables for Remote and Stacking to prevent mix-ups. This cable I found at a computer supply/repair business in town. Its called a serial cable and its wired straight through Pin 1 to Pin 1 and Pin 2 to Pin 2   ect.  It had a few uses in the computer world including printer to computer. The WRONG cable to use would be the 25 pin to 9 pin, though the jack would fit in the port, its only 9 pin on one end and 25 on the other. I don't know what would happen if this cable was used, possibly nothing, possibly smoke would be released from somewhere.
  I didn't just try this cable on a whim, I was told by Xantrex and my PV equipment supplier that it was the same cable. Thankfully they were correct, no problems and no smoke. It works just fine.
  I would suggest installers be careful and ask plenty of questions when substituting cables or any other parts.

  Carl Hansen
  solarwks at cybermesa.com