[RE-wrenches] MTBF

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Thu Mar 26 12:10:13 PDT 2009

All,

MTBF is and has been a valid measurement in the electric/electronics
manufacturing world for many years, used by all manufacturers. I have not
looked, but I suspect all inverter manufacturers could give an equivalent
number for their products.

It is not something new or whiz-bang.

However it remains a purely theoretical method of quantifying a failure rate
on a product that has few years of 'in-the-field' lifetime to back it up,
and should not be confused with MTTR (mean time to replace), which also is a
valid tool used for many years.

Coming from a manufacturing field, I can verify that it is a time-consuming
calculation with arms reaching into MIL-SPEC as well.

-Glenn Burt