[RE-wrenches] XW 4024

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 22:33:27 PDT 2009

Drake - My experience with the SW series is very limited but I can say that
the interface and the grid-tie capability of the XW is superior.  There are
2 main options for generator interconnection: direct-tie to the inverter via
a 2-pole square D QOU breaker in the XW (manual start) or with the Auto Gen
Start peripheral.  The manual start option is straight forward but the AGS
unit requires about an hour's worth of programing (the first time at least)
and knowledge of exactly what type of starter the gernerator uses (There are
something like 11 starter options).

The XW menus are extensive but logical and allow for setting the system up
as AC coupled, DC coupled, straight battery back-up, etc... We just picked
up the XW Config software and it looks like it will be very useful for
programing, operation and diagnosis, though I've heard it does have bugs
when running continuously in the background.

We just bid our first Sunny Island system so I can't yet compare the two,
but the XW has proven to be a very capable inverter/charger system for us.
We've installed about 15 units and the only issue has been 1 bad control
board that was quickly replaced by Xantrex and easily installed.  Of course
we have had multiple issues with the Xantrex GT series over the past 2 years
so who knows what the future holds for the XW.

Hope this helped!

Andrew Truitt
Standard Solar

p.s. - Go Tarheels!

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Drake Chamberlin <
drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for your information on the XW Series.   It seems that there were a
> lot of problems when they first came out.  Many of the problems may have
> been due to mis programming.
>
> Do you think the XW4024 is good replacement for the old SW4024?  With AC 1
> in and AC 2 in, reliable gen start options, ability to use only four 6-volt
> batteries, and other features, there has been a complication in doing
> certain systems that were easy at one time. Clearly the SW series had some
> maddening issues, but I'm hoping that the XW will leave those behind,
> without creating new complications.
>
> Do you think the void has been filled?
>
> Drake
>

> At 11:04 PM 3/19/2009, you wrote:
>
>  Drake - The XW4024 is almost identical to the XW6048 but can produce 4.0kW
>> of AC power and uses a 24V battery bank.  All the auxiliary components (PDP,
>> SCP, charge controller, etc...) are the same for both inverters.
>>
>> We've had very good experiences with the XW system.  With about 15
>> installed so far (4024s and 6048s) the only issue we've had was 1 control
>> board that went bad (easily fixed after Xantrex sent the warranty
>> replacement).
>>

>> Andrew Truitt
>> Standard Solar
>>

> Drake Chamberlin
> Athens Electric
> OH License 44810
> CO License 3773
> 740-448-7328
> 740-856-9648

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough